Sunday, August 8, 2010

EAT Brisket!

One of my favorite things to do in life is to smoke a brisket.  After moving to Texas and personally eating about 25 pounds of it over the course of three years I decided to give it a try.  I purchased a BBQ pit at Academy (Sports Store) and a book about BBQ and got to work.  I made a big error the first time we tried it because I cooked the brisket at around 180 degrees for 12 hours.  When we cut it open the inside was still raw and tough.  We then decided to wrap it in foil and finish it off in the oven at 375 degrees for a couple more hours.  After fourteen hours we filled our bellies with brisket even though it was midnight.

I started this blog to start passing my knowledge of life and more importantly photography tips to hungry minds.  I don't know everything and I'm learning new things everyday and a blog can be a powerful tool for knowledge if it's used with other resources.  If you learn anything from this blog please add your ideas and opinions in the comments, and please spread the word. I'll be adding to the blog every few days and I promise to keep the posts short and sweet with tons of info and pictures. To start this off I think I'll add my soon to be in-famous brisket recipe.


Paradise Family Texas Brisket


Time: 7-8 hours
Servings : 10


Ingredients - 
1 - 12-15 pound brisket with one side having a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of fat.
1 - Bag of your favorite dry rub. Salt, Pepper, Garlic if you have no dry rub.
1 - Medium bag of charcoal.
Enough Pecan or Oak wood chunks or small logs that would fill a backpack.
1 - BBQ pit with a fire box on the side and a thermometer attached to the large lid.


Steps - 
1. Start this procedure 8 1/2 hours before dinner.
2. Start a charcoal fire in the firebox.
3. Rinse off your brisket and on a large baking pan lay it down and rub your dry rub all over it. You want the entire surface covered, even the fat side.
4. Place a pie tin full of water in the large chamber of the pit.  This provides moisture to the brisket while it's cooking.
5. 30 minutes after you lit the coals the coals should be ready.  Spread them out so that they're flat and add a couple of pieces of wood chunks to the fire.  The wood is your smoke and the coals are your primary heat source.
Make sure the firebox is getting oxygen and the chimney flue is open.  
6.  Lay the brisket down fat side up on the grill under the thermostat and about 1.5 feet from the fire. Close the lids.
7.  Check the temperature after about 15 minutes.  You want to smoke the brisket for four hours and keep the temperature at about 250 degrees.  Don't worry if the temp is 280 for 30 minutes and 220 for 30 minutes.  I care about averages.  It's hard to maintain 250 for all four hours.
8. Every 30 minutes check the temperature and add more wood or remove charcoal to get your temperature correct.
9. After four hours the brisket will be dark brown/red.  Take it out and bring it into the kitchen.
10. Wrap the brisket in foil and place it in a deep sided pan and put it in the oven at 375 degrees for four more hours.
11. Pull it out and slice it up.  Try to slice it along the grain of the meat.  It will cut better and look nicer. 
12. Enjoy with BBQ sauce or not, it's your choice.
13. Send me your pictures and I'll be sure to add them to the blog.

































1 comment:

  1. LOL! I love this picture. My mouth is still watering from when I ate that brisket last night. I think this is awesome that you are starting a blog. I don't know how people can think of so many things to talk about but then again..maybe I just don't know what to talk about since I'm always talking to my clients at work. By the time I get home all I want to do is be quiet and cuddle my puppies. Anyways keep up the great work and I'll be interested to see what topics you come up with next!
    Love you always,
    Natalie

    p.s. When can I set up another photo shoot? Can you fit me in soon?

    ReplyDelete